Skip to main content
LA County.gov
| About LA County
🌐
Janice Hahn - Fourth District Logo
LA County.gov
| About LA County
🌐
  • HOME
    • Bio
    • Priorities
    • County Departments
    • Grant Application
    • Commission Application
    • Scroll Request
    • Bus Request
    • Meeting Request
    • News
    • Events Calendar
    • Janice Journal
    • Media Library
    • District Info
    • Team

Supervisors Move Forward on Effort to Preserve LGBTQ+ Crisis Hotline Services Locally After Federal Funding Cuts

Supervisors Move Forward on Effort to Preserve LGBTQ+ Crisis Hotline Services Locally After Federal Funding Cuts https://hahn.lacounty.gov/wp-content/themes/blade/images/empty/thumbnail.jpg 150 150 Supervisor Janice Hahn Supervisor Janice Hahn //hahn.lacounty.gov/wp-content/uploads/2022/01/newlogo2.png July 15, 2025 December 4, 2025
Back to News

Supervisors Move Forward on Effort to Preserve LGBTQ+ Crisis Hotline Services Locally After Federal Funding Cuts

July 15, 2025

Trump administration cuts to call routing to LGBTQ+-specific counseling expected by this Thursday

The Progress Pride flag flies over the Kenneth Hahn Hall of Administration on June 3, 2025.

Los Angeles, CA – Today, the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors moved forward on an effort to explore the impact of federal funding cuts to the option that routes calls made to the national Suicide and Crisis Lifeline (9-8-8) to LGBTQ+ counseling, and to explore how Los Angeles County could preserve that specialized routing for LGBTQ+ callers. The Board unanimously approved a motion by Supervisors Janice Hahn and Lindsey P. Horvath which Hahn brought forward late last month days after the federal Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) confirmed its intent to slash the funding by this Thursday, July 17.

“The LGBTQ+ community, and LGBTQ+ young people especially, are less safe and more vulnerable thanks to the cruelty of the Trump administration. Last month we raised the Pride flag across LA County. This month we’re stepping up to defend the lifesaving crisis services that many in this community depend on,” said Supervisor Janice Hahn. “The federal government may be turning its back on LGBTQ+ people, but here in LA County we’ll do everything within our power to keep this community safe.”

Currently, callers can press 3 after dialing 9-8-8 to get routed to a call line operated by the Trevor Project, which receives the calls and then provides over-the-phone counseling specifically for LGBTQ+ youth. The service operates on a 24/7 basis.

“Every young person should know they are valued and never alone. In moments of crisis, having someone who understands their experience can make all the difference,” said Supervisor Lindsey P. Horvath. “The ‘Press 3’ service has offered LGBTQ+ youth a trusted space to be heard without judgement. We’re exploring every path forward to make sure that support doesn’t disappear –because showing up for our LGBTQ+ youth is more important than ever.”

Research shows that LGBTQ+ youth are more than four times as likely to attempt suicide than their peers. Since the 9-8-8 Suicide and Crisis Lifeline launched in 2022, it has received more than 1.3 million calls from LGBTQ+ youth experiencing mental health crises.

Today’s motion directs the County CEO’s Legislative Affairs and Intergovernmental Relations team and Department of Mental Health to report back in 15 days on the impacts of the federal cuts, and directs the latter to report back in 30 days on options for continued linkage between Los Angeles County’s 9-8-8 hotline and LGBTQ+-specific counseling services.

Read Previous
Supervisor Hahn Encouraged by 9.5% Drop in Unsheltered Homelessness
Read Next
Supervisors Approve $14.4 million for Huntington Park Library Refurbishment
Janice Hahn - Fourth District logo

Supervisor Janice Hahn

Phone: (213) 974-4444

Email: FourthDistrict@bos.lacounty.gov

Meet Janice

Team

District Info

County Services

News

Janice Journal

  • X
  • Facebook
  • Instagram

Ⓒ 2025 • Office of Supervisor Janice Hahn

Latest Posts
  • Hahn Mourns the Passing of Reverend Jesse Jackson
    Hahn Mourns the Passing of Reverend Jesse Jackson
    February 17, 2026
  • Hahn Renews $20,000 Reward in Cudahy Murder of Jose Manuel Rangel
    Hahn Renews $20,000 Reward in Cudahy Murder of Jose Manuel Rangel
    February 10, 2026
  • Hahn Extends $20,000 Reward in June Shooting Death of Teenager in Torrance
    Hahn Extends $20,000 Reward in June Shooting Death of Teenager in Torrance
    February 3, 2026
  • Home
  • Services
    • Scrolls Request
    • Grant Application / FAQ
    • Commission Application
    • Bus Request
    • Meeting Request
  • Priorities
  • Staff
  • District Info / Contact Us
  • News
    • Archive – Press Releases
    • Photos / Media
  • Janice Journal
  • twitter
  • facebook
  • instagram
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • Instagram