Los Angeles, CA—Today, Los Angeles County Supervisors Janice Hahn and Hilda Solis directed almost $2 million in county funding to an innovative program coordinating homeless services in the Gateway Cities region.
“Since we started funding this program, we have been able to lift over 2,000 people off of the streets of the Gateway Cities and into housing,” said Supervisor Janice Hahn. “The homelessness crisis demands attention at every level of government, and I appreciate the Gateway Cities Council of Government’s willingness to put resources to work, connect people to stable housing, and be part of long-term solutions. I am more than happy to do everything I can to support their efforts.”
The creation of the Gateway Connections Program in 2011 was widely considered to be the first attempt at addressing homelessness through a coordinated, regional effort of a group of cities, in partnership with Los Angeles County. The mission of the program is to identify homeless encampments in the 27 cities that make up the Gateway region of the County, conduct intensive outreach and connect homeless individuals and families to supportive services, temporary housing, and permanent supportive housing.
“Homelessness is a crisis, and to end homelessness we must work together to identify creative solutions. That is why I am allocating $156,438 for a three-year term from the First District’s Homeless Prevention Initiative Fund to support the Gateway Connections Program,” said Los Angeles County Supervisor Hilda L. Solis. “The County, in partnership with local cities, must extend a helping hand to uplift our sisters and brothers who are experiencing homelessness. In my District, the Gateway region includes the cities of Bell, Bell Gardens, Commerce, Cudahy, Huntington Park, Industry, Maywood, Montebello, Pico Rivera, South Gate, and Vernon. This region saw a 12% increase in its homeless population, where nearly one-third of the individuals experiencing homelessness are women, and more than half are Latino/Hispanic. The Gateway Connections Program has led to regional partnerships between the Gateway Council of Governments (COG), Gateway cities, the County, and homeless service providers. To tackle homelessness effectively, we must treat our neighbors humanely by offering them wraparound services that will help them get back on their feet. We cannot stop until everyone can rest in a bed of their own.”
Over the next three years, the Gateway Cities Council of Government will receive $635,750 annually for the Gateway Cities Connection Program from both the First and Fourth District’s allocation of Homeless Prevention Initiative funds totaling $1,907,250. The First District’s allocation is set at 25% of the annual contract total while the Fourth District will allocate the remaining 75%. The contract term will be for three years with two option years contingent on available funding from the Homeless Prevention Initiative funds.