The Board of Supervisors has implemented an interim Rent Stabilization Ordinance in the unincorporated areas of Los Angeles County.
In Supervisor Hahn’s district this includes the areas of Hacienda Heights, Rowland Heights, Unincorporated North, South, East Whittier, Los Nietos, Marina del Rey, the La Rambla are of San Pedro, and the Cerritos Island area of Long Beach.
The temporary ordinance includes:
• An annual cap of 3 percent on rent increases on eligible units
• A provision requiring “just cause” for all tenant evictions
• A process for property owners who believe they are not receiving a fair return on their property to increase rent above the annual cap
The County ordinance voids rent increases over 3 percent in effect on or after September 11, 2018.
The goal of this interim ordinance is to provide relief to tenants as the County crafts a permanent ordinance.
To find out if a property is in unincorporated Los Angeles County, visit the Los Angeles County Register-Recorder/County Clerk website at lavote.net/precinctmap and select “District Map Look Up by Address”.
If you want to find out if your rental unit is eligible or have questions about the temporary Rent Stabilization Ordinance contact the Los Angeles County Department of Consumer and Business Affairs:
• Phone: (833) 223-RENT (7368)
• Email: Rent@dcba.lacounty.gov
• For more information, visit rent.lacounty.gov