It is not a matter of if a large earthquake will strike LA County, but when. Supervisor Hahn wants to ensure you have the information and resources you need to get ready now.
Earthquake Preparedness Forum with Dr. Lucy Jones
Supervisor Hahn hosted an Earthquake Preparedness Forum with seismologist Dr. Lucy Jones and County officials to inform the public about what they should do to prepare for an earthquake.
10 Essential Items
Los Angeles County's Office of Emergency Management recommends residents are prepared with 10 essential items in case of a major earthquake. They are:
- Water for 3-10 days: You will need one gallon per day per family member. *Don't forget pets!
- Food for 3-10 days
- First Aid Kit
- Flashlights and extra batteries
- Radio: Be sure it is battery-powered or a crank-radio
- Medications: both prescription and non-prescription
- Cash and Important Documents: Including insurance documents
- Clothing and Sturdy Shoes
- Tools: including wrench to turn off gas valve in case of leak
- Sanitation and Hygiene Supplies
For more information about what to do before, during and after an emergency, download the County's Survival Guide.